[ 3 ]
32% 32% 
[ 7 ]
9% 9% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 22

Re: The Turning Stone - the album reviews & poll

Post  Trousers on Fri 13 May 2011 - 19:57

The Bat wrote:Like most of the reviewers, I love it, on the whole. The Caller and the Turning Stone are the stand-out tracks, but there is nothing that I really dislike.

But . . .

I do feel that, compared with the debut album, there is something missing which I can't quite put my finger on. There was something about the debut CD that really grabbed hold of me and I think it's the 'big band sound' on pretty much every track. Both albums have a good mixture of up-tempo and slower tracks, but I prefer it when slower tracks have a heavy instrumental side - it's that heavy hitting, thunderous quality that reverberates around the room that gets me, whether it's a fast or slow number - "To the Windward" is probably a good example of a slower track with a great atmospheric sound.

Perhaps it's the running order that isn't quite right on this one. The three big tracks are all at the beginning of the album, leaving the rest slowly chugging along after. I like the rest, but it's the first three that have me reaching for the repeat button. The playout on "Ghost" is pretty awesome though and is another thing I love: a slow start but building to a big, loud playout at the end.

But, as I say, overall it's very, very good and it's been played a lot. Beautiful songs, great atmosphere and a whole lot better than most of the run-of-the-mill tosh that is popular music. I hate to sound too critical of something that I really do love a lot but I am trying to give an honest opinion.

"Coast", the debut, still wins it, but this is a great follow-up.

Rachel

Hi Rachel,

First of all, welcome to the forum - great to have you onboard.

Great review and feedback on the album. I hear what you say about the running order and the album being "front loaded" with the more high-tempo songs.

I don't think that observation hit me as hard as it has others as I tend not to listen to entire albums from end-to-end these days (yes, I know, I'm a reluctant victim of the digital age.)

I tend to listen to most music on a "pick and mix" basis on my iPhone these days so I choose my own 'running order' most of the time.

Anyway, I digress (for once!)

cheers again,
martin

Ruabhal

Number of posts : 658
Registration date : 2008-02-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  trug on Sat 14 May 2011 - 3:10

Not quite sure of the rules here and I would like to change my mind about what I want to vote for,yesterday it was Docks however today its definitely The Turning Stone with Valley High Valley Low coming in a very close second.Got a funny feeling that my mind might well change again tomorrow. This is very much a mood album me thinks!!

trug
The Great Crowd

Number of posts : 208
Registration date : 2009-10-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Bat on Sat 14 May 2011 - 4:39

trug wrote:Not quite sure of the rules here and I would like to change my mind about what I want to vote for,yesterday it was Docks however today its definitely The Turning Stone with Valley High Valley Low coming in a very close second.Got a funny feeling that my mind might well change again tomorrow. This is very much a mood album me thinks!!

I know where you're coming from, Trug. It pains me to see the Turning Stone trailing miserably with no votes so far Shocked. I think it's an absolutely rocking track. I voted for The Caller, for it's danceability and the sing-a-long factor, but it was a tough choice between that and the Turning Stone. But the more I hear the Turning Stone, I just love it more and more. Since I can't vote twice, then I just want it known that it gets a massive thumbs up from me! Cool

Rachel

The Bat

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-05-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tiz on Sat 14 May 2011 - 5:14

Oh its a tough call with one choice.......Av anyone.
tiz
America

Number of posts : 534
Registration date : 2008-02-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KENNY MACDONALD on Sun 15 May 2011 - 3:30

I had the misfortune of having to work today (dont usually work Saturdays) so I spent the morning listning to the new cd on "repeat".Ive got to say it is definitely a "grower" .Even the "slower" tracks are begining to "sink in".I bought the first album on the strenth of the bands live performance and still reguard it as one of my favourite all time cds.I think the expectations for the second cd were so high it may have caught folk a little by surprise (myself included) but as I say, the more I listen the more I find and enjoy.This is an impressive piece of work.

KENNY MACDONALD
Coaster

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2010-07-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Conor2 on Wed 18 May 2011 - 15:44

jacqui wrote:My opinion...

Paul Eastham has the best singing voice that I have ever heard. Such pure, genuine emotion.

I am 100% with you there Jacqui , it is amazing .
This CD is the best i have bought since , i don't know when . I can not remember the last time i bought a CD where i do not have to skip a song or two .
Do not have a favorite song yet but , Fields of Blood and Dock of my Home Town are leading ( so far) ..
This is a truly brilliant album .When i sat down put it on for the first time and heard the Caller , thought that is a great song , next came Road outta this Town , i thought , that is a great song , and one great song followed another . one down side , the CD had to stop some time ... Sad
Conor2
Coaster

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2010-03-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Conor2 on Wed 18 May 2011 - 22:34

OK ..
have voted for FIELDS OF BLOOD ...
Best song i have heard in years ,
cant believe i am the first to vote for it ...it is a all time classic,
Conor2
Coaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveyTee on Wed 18 May 2011 - 23:00

Shows how tastes differ........ "Fields of Blood" is my least favourite track on the album. Crying or Very sad

DT
DaveyTee
The Great Crowd

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2010-02-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Conor2 on Fri 20 May 2011 - 18:46

DaveyTee wrote:Shows how tastes differ........ "Fields of Blood" is my least favourite track on the album. Crying or Very sad

DT

It does DaveyTee , today Docks of my Home Town is my favourite ...
Conor2
Coaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Celtman on Sat 21 May 2011 - 3:40

Conor2 wrote:
DaveyTee wrote:Shows how tastes differ........ "Fields of Blood" is my least favourite track on the album. Crying or Very sad

DT

I wonder if my new video influenced you

Celtman
The Reckless Engineer

Number of posts : 756
Registration date : 2008-02-13

View user profile http://millennium-thisiswhoweare.net/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Conor2 on Mon 23 May 2011 - 15:09

Celtman wrote:
Conor2 wrote:

DT

I wonder if my new video influenced you

I was going to say that IMHO it was your best video yet , but i have just watched the Runrig "One Thing" video ... thats a fantastic video , and just watched Forest Gump a couple of weeks ago again , i forgot just what a good film it is .
Conor2
Coaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Spud on Fri 27 May 2011 - 17:45

Well, I've had my CD a few weeks now and I still like them all. My favourites are 'Beat of You', 'The Caller' and 'Victory O' but I like them all.

The production and talent are second to none, a really quality album and excellent value for money
Spud
Sepia Eyes

Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2009-12-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trousers on Fri 22 Jul 2011 - 2:22

Hello!

Interesting to see the views on the new COAST album and the comparisons with the first.

Here's my take on it - mainly a personal view but with an insight into the concept behind it.

The second album is certainly deeper, and perhaps darker, than the first. It was always going to end up that way as it is a direct reflection of the somewhat choppy waters that the band have had to navigate during its conception and creation. It also deals with the pain of the personal loss of a loved one.

I think it's fair to say that the first album was a patchwork 'showcase' of songs that ended up working really well together. In that sense it has a certain simplicity and innocence that makes it more instantly accessible.

The second album is more of a concept album in construction. It's largely about Southampton - a somewhat sprawling urban landscape - most famous for its docks and under achieving football team! It's about the working man (or woman) keeping their nose to the grindstone and, from the band's perspective, it's about looking beyond the city limits and exploring new territories and taking on new challenges.

So, we start off with 'The Caller' - a song about the toils of the manual worker, specifically doffing a cap to generations of miners and the sacrifices they made.

'Road Outta This Town' is about the desire to break away from the shackles of one's hometown and see the world beyond. It's also a reflection on those that have supported your beliefs and dreams for many years but are no longer here to see the results.

'The Turning Stone' brings the sentiments from 'The Caller' closer to home and reflects the 'grindstone' of the daily routine to and from the often mundane day job.

Next up we have 'Fields of Blood'. Again, this song plucks an element from a preceding song (Road Outta This Town) and is about the anniversary of losing a loved one - someone who is no longer here to share your journey and how the pain never goes away.

'The Ghost of Dan the Boy' takes us back to a New Years Eve in Southampton many years ago, where a young boy went missing, feared drowned. He was never found. The song is about letting go of a ghost that has haunted the mind ever since.

'The Beat of You' is more abstract in the context of the album in that it's about relationships and wanting to be with someone that is out of reach. Metaphorically though, you can tie this song in with 'Road Outta This Town' - wanting to be somewhere else with someone else.

'The Docks of My Hometown' is somewhat self explanatory. It reflects on the history of Southampton which is both dark and inspiring in equal measures - from the pounding it received during WWII to the mixed fortunes of the ships that sailed from there.

With 'Victory O' we move from the docks of Southampton to Nelson's flagship the HMS Victory which is berthed just along the coast in Portsmouth. This is a historical song. It's about the battle of Trafalgar but written in the perspective of Lady Hamilton and Lord Nelson
writing to each other in a love letter. The song builds as the life becomes more drained from Lord Nelson who has been injured. Towards the end the song portrays the calm after the storm as the Victory sails away damaged and torn with the Admiral who has just passed away. But Emma Hamilton still lives in hope that he will return alive. This song pays homage to not only British fleets but also the Spanish whom also lost their lives.

And we end with 'Valley High Valley Low' which, fittingly within the concept of the album, is the last song - it is a song of hope. It was written on the road to Scotland just after the floods in Cumbria that year. It conveys the beauty of nature and icy, snowy hilltops in the north of England and Scotland.

In summary, I think the second album has many more layers and depth than the first. The more you peel back the more is revealed. It reflects the dark yet inspiring subject matter and has threads of continuity running through it from beginning to end. It's not just a collection of songs per se - it's an attempt to convey where you've come from, what's happened along the way and where you're going.

One things for sure....I can't wait for the next one!

Cheers,
Martin

Ruabhal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  trug on Fri 22 Jul 2011 - 23:36

Cheers for that Trousers,its good to have a bit more info as to the whys and where fores into a track or indeed an album and I do appreciate it,thanks.Whatever anyone's feeling or views are it still gets put on our c.d player with unfailing regularity!

trug
The Great Crowd

Number of posts : 208
Registration date : 2009-10-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trousers on Sat 23 Jul 2011 - 2:04

trug wrote:Cheers for that Trousers,its good to have a bit more info as to the whys and where fores into a track or indeed an album and I do appreciate it,thanks.Whatever anyone's feeling or views are it still gets put on our c.d player with unfailing regularity!

Cheers Drew.

I guess what I'm trying to articulate is that the 2nd album isn't a typical "paint by numbers" album whereby the listener gets a bog standard blend of "high-tempo" vs "ballads".

The tempo of the music is largely irrelevant IMHO. The album is a reflection of a period of time in the band's history, and the fact that the second half ends up being "slower" than the second half is largely irrelevant.

To me, it's a brave move by Paul and the band to produce an album that isn't 'formulaeic' or 'identikit'. The songs appear in the sequence that they do, and at the tempo that they do, because there is a story to be told and that is what we see and hear on the final product.

On the surface, the first album perhaps appears more balanced in terms of song tempo, but in a way that's missing the point. The point of the second album is to tell a story and it achieves that in spades.

The second album asks more of the listener than the first. It beckons the listener to share a period of time, to share and absorb the story that is being told.

Cheers :-)

Ruabhal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveyTee on Sat 23 Jul 2011 - 7:51

Trousers wrote:The point of the second album is to tell a story and it achieves that in spades.
Er.... Does it? Until your posting, I'd never realised that the album was telling a story. I'm still not sure that I do - I buy an album for the music and I'm afraid that except in exceptional cases (eg Leonard Cohen, Tom Waits, Chris de Burgh) the lyrics tend to pass me by - indeed, I often can't make them all out. On that basis, the tempo of the music is not irrelevant, at least not as far as I'm concerned, and nor is the balance of the album, at least insofar as the music is concerned. Maybe this is because I seldom sit down and concentrate on an album - more often I listen to it, almost in the background, while working, or else while walking the dog, or driving, when there are always plenty of other things to observe or grab my attention. I just don't regard a rock album as an inellectual exercise, I'm afraid, and so I don't sit down and concentrate intently throughout an album, trying to guess whether or not the band is trying to tell me a story. Maybe that's why I've never been a great one for concept albums.

DT
DaveyTee
The Great Crowd

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2010-02-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Conor2 on Sat 23 Jul 2011 - 13:13

Thank you very much for that Trousers , it is always good to get a bit of a insight in to what the songs mean to the band or certain band members . Ive never been to bothered about running-orders of songs/albums , as i like to take every song as a piece of work on its own . When a song finishes i either like it , or not . Then its one to the next song . After having listened to the Turning Stone many ,many times , i am enjoying now as much as i did the day it arrived . And am looking forward to the next album .
Conor2
Coaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2