Coast Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bonfeld / Germany 02.July 2011 (Folk im Schlosshof Festival)

5 posters

Go down

Bonfeld / Germany 02.July 2011 (Folk im Schlosshof Festival) Empty Bonfeld / Germany 02.July 2011 (Folk im Schlosshof Festival)

Post  atislay Tue 5 Jul 2011 - 0:00

Just came back from a really great festival in Bonfeld.
Here's my review:
Apart from very good other bands (I personally loved Mr.Irish Bastard from Münster, it's a bit like Pogues style, and Enter the Haggis from Canada) this gig was the very first (official) Coast gig in Germany.
So it was like an historical moment when the lads climbed the stage with the Song of Angus. The weather was great, the mood was very good and an audience of (probably) 3.000 or 4.000 fans awaited the guys.
And all my expectations for this gig were excelled.... The ROCK was back, with the first riff of BBS I knew that it would be an excellent gig. Three fast songs at the beginning and (to let the audience rest a little bit) two slow songs should follow... Keep loving and Reckless engineer. I awaited (new) guitar solos and then...
no electric guitar, sometimes partly guitar, it was like a nightmare for the guys.
They had to take a break to solve the problem and fortunately after 15 minutes break the problem was solved. Don't ask me what the problem was...
The major experience was.... the whole crowd waited very patiently !!!
Nobody left the venue, that was very very very very very emotional...
And with the first song after the break (Turning Stone) the problems were solved.
Great atmosphere for the rest of the concert, a well-balanced setlist, and they finished with a very very good America (I really loved Steves guitar on that).
The encore "The beat of you" with Duncan Chisholm on the fiddle was again very emotional. It was already night, it was dark... and 3.000 lighters in the crowd... Wow !
It was a great finish, and at the end the band got an invitation for the next festival in 2012. End of June 2012 they'll be back, and me and my family too !!!
Without doubt... Very Happy

Cheers, Matthias.

Setlist:
Song of Angus (from CD)
Big Blue Sky
Road outta this town
The Caller
Keep loving
Reckless engineer
Turning Stone
To the windward
Ruabhal
Docks of my hometown
Oceanos
America
The beat of you
atislay
atislay
These Walls

Number of posts : 284
Registration date : 2009-09-02

Back to top Go down

Bonfeld / Germany 02.July 2011 (Folk im Schlosshof Festival) Empty Re: Bonfeld / Germany 02.July 2011 (Folk im Schlosshof Festival)

Post  Trousers Tue 5 Jul 2011 - 0:20

Superb review Matthias!

Cheers :-)
Trousers
Trousers
Ruabhal

Number of posts : 658
Registration date : 2008-02-12

Back to top Go down

Bonfeld / Germany 02.July 2011 (Folk im Schlosshof Festival) Empty Re: Bonfeld / Germany 02.July 2011 (Folk im Schlosshof Festival)

Post  DaveyTee Tue 5 Jul 2011 - 0:38

atislay wrote:End of June 2012 they'll be back, and me and my family too !!!
Maybe we should organise a bus from the UK Very Happy

As Martin said, great review, just what we've been needing on this Board.

DT
DaveyTee
DaveyTee
The Great Crowd

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2010-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post  rig Tue 5 Jul 2011 - 5:33

Have to agree with Matthias. I wrote a review of the festival elsewhere, so here's a copy:

I am a very lucky and a very happy bunny, having just been to the brilliant small festival Folk im Schloss, in Germany. I couldn't resist the pull of a Saturday night line-up composed of Coast, Enter the Haggis and Wolfstone.

It's a great place for a festival, in the various courtyards and speaces around an old castle, and very well organised but laid back at the same time. We were lucky with the weather, warm, dry and not too hot. Lots of great music on in the various courtyards, and seats and drinks (inc. cider!) and different kinds of food. Clean, efficient, very friendly and relaxed - 'mellow' is the word I'd use for it.

They clearly have figured out just how many tickets sold is 'comfortable', so no pushing and shoving.

I was very tired and needed space for myself in the afternoon so just meandered around and just soaked up the atmosphere and the earlier music - special mention for the Cornish band 3 Daft Monkeys' (though there were 4 of them) - tuneful, good lyrics, high energy, infectiously mischievous in approach. Also enjoyed the trio Trailhead, and the duo Madison Violet (Canada).

In the evening, suitably relaxed and fed and cidered, I met up with the Coast crowd, catching up with Trousers and some of the lads, and via them with the German fans, some of whom I'd met before (including Matthias and family). Fine set from Coast, though unfortunately, less than halfway through, the venue's guitar amp seemd to blow and the guitar couldn't be heard, and it took some time to fix - I felt really sorry for the band, especially Steve, the guitarist, as they had built up a great momentum, then had to do it all again.

But the crowd stayed with them, and i think it could still be counted a great success. And out of the mishap came an invitation to play there again next year, last weekend of June. So that's a date for Coast fan diaries...As a special treat just for me (in the front row), Duncan Chisholm came on for 'The Beat of You'... And then I helped sell loads of CDs and t-shirts with Trousers on the merch stand...

After that I got the second half of the Canadian band Enter the Haggis, a very good live band as well as producing excellent albums, and was delighted when their encore was my favourite - 'I won't let you go down with the ship.'

And to finish, Wolfstone played a long set at midnight - so I got more Duncan. Laughing

And here's a video of The Beat of You, with the great Duncan Chisholm on fiddle:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

rig

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2010-03-14

Back to top Go down

Post  rig Tue 5 Jul 2011 - 5:37

Oceanos:

Paul working the (not unwilling!) crowd... Twisted Evil

rig

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2010-03-14

Back to top Go down

Post  atislay Tue 5 Jul 2011 - 16:55

Great review Rig !
Yes, we also loved the atmosphere and location of this festival.
This festival is located in a very small village and probably the whole population of Bonfeld is involved in it, that causes a very relaxed and friendly, even familiar atmosphere.
atislay
atislay
These Walls

Back to top Go down

Post  trug Thu 7 Jul 2011 - 1:52

Well done guys, as with DaveyTee just what the board has been needing now,any chance of getting some photos on here too?Thank you

trug
The Great Crowd

Number of posts : 208
Registration date : 2009-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post  atislay Thu 7 Jul 2011 - 3:08

Oh yes.... Here are some of my pics... Smile

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by atislay on Thu 7 Jul 2011 - 3:12; edited 1 time in total
atislay
atislay
These Walls

Back to top Go down

Post  atislay Thu 7 Jul 2011 - 3:12

And here is a link to some professional photos of the Coast gig in Bonfeld:

atislay
atislay
These Walls

Back to top Go down

Bonfeld / Germany 02.July 2011 (Folk im Schlosshof Festival) Empty Bonfeld / Germany 02.July 2011 (Folk im Schlosshof Festival)

Post  trug Sun 10 Jul 2011 - 3:09

Thanks Matthias I appreciate that.

trug
The Great Crowd

Number of posts : 208
Registration date : 2009-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down