Coast Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

how would you feel.....

+4
tiz
atislay
Celtman
COAST
8 posters

Go down

how would you feel..... Empty how would you feel.....

Post  COAST Tue 25 Jan 2011 - 6:44

if the new songs where becoming more celtic prog rock?
COAST
COAST
America

Number of posts : 456
Registration date : 2008-02-12

http://www.myspace.com/pauleasthampiano

Back to top Go down

how would you feel..... Empty Re: how would you feel.....

Post  Celtman Tue 25 Jan 2011 - 7:21

Sounds great to me........

Its always good to re-invent your sound in new ways.....keeps people on their toes

Celtman
The Reckless Engineer

Number of posts : 756
Registration date : 2008-02-13

http://millennium-thisiswhoweare.net/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  atislay Tue 25 Jan 2011 - 7:41

That sounds very exciting to me.
You will use the hammond organ more often ?
Coast would be the first Celtic prog rock band in the world...
Very Happy
atislay
atislay
These Walls

Number of posts : 284
Registration date : 2009-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post  COAST Tue 25 Jan 2011 - 9:51

well... thats the way is shaping up Smile
COAST
COAST
America

Back to top Go down

Post  tiz Tue 25 Jan 2011 - 10:07

Will this talk has me really excited. It sounds up my street and I am 100 per cent it could be my best album of all time.
tiz
tiz
America

Number of posts : 534
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveyTee Tue 25 Jan 2011 - 19:51

What is "Celtic prog rock"? Genesis with bagpipes?

I have to confess to being a bit worried about this development, having lived through the "prog rock" revolution of the 70s and having experienced the absurd excesses it increasingly produced.

The Oxford Companion to Music states that progressive rock bands "...explored extended musical structures which involved intricate instrumental patterns and textures and often esoteric subject matter. Additionally, the arrangements often incorporated elements drawn from classical, jazz, and world music". I for one very much hope that that is NOT the way Coast are going.

DT
DaveyTee
DaveyTee
The Great Crowd

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2010-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post  tiz Tue 25 Jan 2011 - 20:25

Please dont use terms like Jazz and Coast together please. More accordians and traditional instruments is a really exciting development. Also ( and i do agree about the excesses ) the idea of dabbling with prog rock is exciting as long as it is not off the wall. I am sure this album is going to be a bit special in fact I am sure it will be the best ever.
tiz
tiz
America

Back to top Go down

Post  tiz Tue 25 Jan 2011 - 20:33

Davy maybe to reassure you on facbook paul has used the term small elements of prog rock.
tiz
tiz
America

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveyTee Tue 25 Jan 2011 - 23:12

tiz wrote:Please dont use terms like Jazz and Coast together please. More accordians and traditional instruments is a really exciting development.
That seems to be going down the folk path rather than the prog path. I'm therefore still in the dark as to what is meant by "Celtic prog rock", even if it only involves "small elements". I hope it's not going to involve some element of "fusion" with world music or jazz or something and that they don't become another Capercaillie or Peatbog Faeries or even Wolfstone, none of whom I have liked much in recent years. What on earth is wrong with being a Celtic rock band without complicating the issue?

DT
DaveyTee
DaveyTee
The Great Crowd

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2010-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post  tiz Tue 25 Jan 2011 - 23:45

Nothing wrong with being a celtic rock band. I agree with your jazz infusion comments its why i said no mention of jazz and coast in the same breath please. But I dont think they will go down the route of capercaillie and Peat Bogs but believe the peat bogs have never been any different.. And I couldnt agree more in that it ruined the bands and even more so Wolfstone . I think the prog rock will be more pink floyd like. And I believe Charlie to be a big fan of Genesis so maybe that will be of an influence.

If I have got it right what Paul is saying is that they will add to their sound in different ways rather than actually changing into a celtic prog rock or celtic folk rock band they will play with their Celtic rock sound in some tracks. But I dont know that, its just what I read into it all. Docks sees them doing almost a Sprinsteen sounding track .

I dont want them to become a more or even less anything I like the sound as it is. Celtic rock is what they do best and I am sure that is what will be the defining sound. And I have to say I can understand them despite being a celtic rock band not marketing the Celtic element of it. They dont need too and it divides opinion and closes ears to others.
tiz
tiz
America

Back to top Go down

Post  Trousers Thu 27 Jan 2011 - 6:45

I think the following description I found online about the Horslips probably best articulates how the genres of "Progressive Rock" and "Celtic/Folk" can be fused without losing emphasis on either the 'rock' or 'celtic' elements:

"Formed in 1970, Horslips were the first Irish group to have the terms ‘Celtic rock’ applied to them, produced work that included traditional Irish/Celtic music and instrumentation, Celtic themes and imagery, concept albums based on Irish mythology in a way that entered the territory of progressive rock all powered by a hard rock sound.Horslips are considered important in the history of Irish rock as they were the first major band to enjoy success without having to leave their native country and can be seen as providing a template for Celtic rock in Ireland and elsewhere"

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the next COAST album will sound like the Horslips, just offering it up as an example of a band who encapsulate many 'music style' labels without compromising their roots.

COAST's music will always be built on a foundation of 'rock' which is then layered with 'Celtic/Folk' accents. What I believe is happening with the next album is that another 'accent' layer is being built on top of the base model and existing layers.

Crikey - that's all a tad deep for a simpleton like me!!
Trousers
Trousers
Ruabhal

Number of posts : 658

Back to top Go down

Post  RunrigNutter Thu 27 Jan 2011 - 8:39

Capercaillie include most styles reggae, folk/world Smile

Jazz is good as long as it's not overdone but im a big fan of Bi Beo, Paul Mounsey has used some jazzy stuff, in the electronic stuff; tom sloss did as well Smile

Peatbog haven't all been jazzy, they did bagpipes, whistles bass to electro/prog Smile

They remind me of Snooglenifty Smile

I dont mind prog, as long it doesn't get covered in too much prog and hardly any celtic Smile

RunrigNutter
Coast

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2010-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post  tiz Thu 27 Jan 2011 - 11:35

I still think that peat bogs have always had an element of Jazz fusion about them. Here the rub I actually love them but can only listen to one track at a time. The folk police gets aired quite a bit.

I dont like a lot of paul mounceys work mainly because it sounds over produced. But North is one of the best instrumentals ever.

tiz
tiz
America

Back to top Go down

Post  RunrigNutter Thu 27 Jan 2011 - 12:07

It was Running To The Light that got me in his stuff, I love Dalmore, Passing Away, As Texas Da Hollanda, I love how he made gaelic relevant, it does take a wee while getting used to it. The same with Corvus Corax Smile

RunrigNutter
Coast

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2010-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post  COAST Thu 27 Jan 2011 - 23:53

Lol ok ...
No jazz!!
Prog aspect is very minute in that fact that some drums and percussion are grooving in 2 time signatures and the swapping over that's all.
In fact there is more Celtic on this album than the first so dont worry lol it's not genesis with pipes Smile
COAST
COAST
America

Back to top Go down

Post  Trousers Fri 28 Jan 2011 - 0:37

COAST wrote:dont worry lol it's not genesis with pipes Smile

Bugger - I was looking forward to that!! ;-)
Trousers
Trousers
Ruabhal

Back to top Go down

Post  Trousers Fri 28 Jan 2011 - 0:38

COAST wrote:In fact there is more Celtic on this album than the first

Ssshhhh.....no-one tell Mr Extance...... Wink
Trousers
Trousers
Ruabhal

Back to top Go down

Post  Linda Fri 28 Jan 2011 - 0:47

Aye you're right Trousers....he'll start stomping his feet and pulling his hair out...... eh no, he can't actually do that can he?? Twisted Evil
Linda
Linda
Sunset Over Vallay Strand

Number of posts : 355
Registration date : 2008-02-13

Back to top Go down

Post  tiz Fri 28 Jan 2011 - 5:46

Trousers wrote:
COAST wrote:In fact there is more Celtic on this album than the first

Ssshhhh.....no-one tell Mr Extance...... Wink

There is a god in heaven
tiz
tiz
America

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum