Coast Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

anti depressant

5 posters

Go down

anti depressants yes or no?

anti  depressant Vote_lcap50%anti  depressant Vote_rcap 50% 
[ 2 ]
anti  depressant Vote_lcap50%anti  depressant Vote_rcap 50% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 4

Poll closed

anti  depressant Empty anti depressant

Post  COAST Sun 13 Apr 2008 - 6:59

ok how many people feel that taking drugs to solve depression is good?
do you think they mask the problem and delay the cure??? or are they good for completey solving the problem??
COAST
COAST
America

Number of posts : 456
Registration date : 2008-02-12

http://www.myspace.com/pauleasthampiano

Back to top Go down

anti  depressant Empty Re: anti depressant

Post  the scimitar Mon 14 Apr 2008 - 7:49

I think you have to check carefully what causes the depressions. Sometimes it is the only way for people to run a halfway normal life when they take medicines because their kind of depressions is caused by a lack of certain hormons etc. But taking anti depressants is only one part of the solution. Talking about your problems ( even in a professional therapy ) is very important. Been there done that. I have been fighting with panic attacks for about 15 years and have been to a professional therapy that lasted for more than 2 years. But it helped me a lot and I know now how to handle certain situations. I personally refused to take any pills because the problems were caused by incidents among my family. But I have a close family member who takes anti depressants and they have a positive effect. But it was a long and difficult way to find the right anti depressant and the right dose. And that's where the problem lies, some doctors and patients handle such medicine like drops and people end up as zombies.

cheers

Sabine xx
the scimitar
the scimitar
The Great Crowd

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2008-02-14

Back to top Go down

Post  celticbird Mon 14 Apr 2008 - 18:03

My older sister is bi-polar with schizophrenic tendencies and without her meds she is absolutley impossible to live with. When my marriage split up, I lived with my mum and older sister for a while and the behaviour was unbelievable if she didn't take her meds.

Verbally abusive to my mother, physically abusive to me. Serious boozing, all sorts of random behaviour that is fairly typical of a person like that.

But when on her meds, she is quite good company. She has made and lost alot of friends and tried the patience of so many good people, it is actually quite sad. We don't speak anymore now though because of her behaviour towards my mother and it saves my mother alot of aggro if I only visit when the COAST is clear.
celticbird
celticbird
The Great Crowd

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2008-02-13

Back to top Go down

Post  COAST Mon 14 Apr 2008 - 22:27

i knew this would be an interesting topic..
some realy good opinions..
whats your view on doctors prescribing them just to deal with the winter blues as it were??
COAST
COAST
America

Number of posts : 456
Registration date : 2008-02-12

http://www.myspace.com/pauleasthampiano

Back to top Go down

Post  the scimitar Tue 15 Apr 2008 - 7:19

I am not sure how serious winter depressions can be but I think it would be better to start with what we call 'light therapy' in Germany. It can be helpful for people who feel down to sit in front of certain bright lamps. Sports and being outside also has a possitive effect. I have to spend the afternoons and evenings inside due to my work and so I take the chance to spend as much time as possible outside. I do a lot of gardening, work with the horses, take my mum's dogs for a walk and use my bike when I have to do my groceries. But it's sad to see that some doctors and even patients take the easy way (eg. pills ) to get rid of the winter blues.

cheers

Sabine xx
the scimitar
the scimitar
The Great Crowd

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2008-02-14

Back to top Go down

anti  depressant Empty antidepressants

Post  usrunrigfan Sun 4 Apr 2010 - 8:39

I think they will not work alone, but in tandom with addressing the source of problem and taking the steps one needs to deal with the issue. We can't bury an issue without doing the work (within oneself), first.

usrunrigfan

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2010-03-31

Back to top Go down

anti  depressant Empty ok one more thing

Post  usrunrigfan Sun 4 Apr 2010 - 8:47

For winter blues with no underlying issues (abuse etc) a good walk everyday will do what a pill will do and is a lot better for you! Sunlamps are also an option, as someone mentioned. Someone with serious psychotic issues does need drugs (schizophrenia, bi-polar disorder). I work in a hospital and have seen what people with serious disorders do when off and on their meds. Very sad.

usrunrigfan

Back to top Go down

Post  tiz Sun 4 Apr 2010 - 21:49

difficult one for me. Living under the cloud of depression in the house its hard. I believe there is an answer without drugs but its only if the person affected is totally willing to give up their ways and tendencancies and live virtually a different life. Meds are needed without them I have no idea where my family would be or for that matter me. I think it is something that needs to be tackled as soon as the symtoms start. The biggest thing is not to let it get out of hand. Ensure that friends and social events are kept up. The more a person cuts themselves off the worse the problem becomes.

Its heartbreaking to see people you love suffering from it. I cant vote either way as I think both are right.

Behaviour or any sort can be changed with real determined mental effort but sometimes needs assistance on the way.
tiz
tiz
America

Number of posts : 534
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post  usrunrigfan Mon 5 Apr 2010 - 10:04

Hang in there, Tiz. I hope things get better.

usrunrigfan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum