Coast Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oban gig 9/5/13

4 posters

Go down

Oban gig 9/5/13 Empty Oban gig 9/5/13

Post  KENNY MACDONALD Sat 11 May 2013 - 0:34

A message to the few people who still read this forum.myself and fifty or so other lucky souls witnessed the band play a great show in oban last night.new guitarist andy shone in his new role I would say his playing style was more of the "lappage
" school than steves style but none the worst for that! The pa sound was excellent (after the usual first song adjustments) it of coarse would have been nice to see more bodies at the gig but as usual the guys gave it there all.a few new songs made an appearance. But the highlight of the night had to be the extended encore america.many thanks to the band and all who tuned up.

KENNY MACDONALD
Coaster

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2010-07-05

Back to top Go down

Oban gig 9/5/13 Empty Re: Oban gig 9/5/13

Post  DaveyTee Sat 11 May 2013 - 19:00

Thanks for this, Kenny. I had intended going to the Stirling gig, but that was called off and rescheduled for July when, sadly, I think I'm going to be away. Glad to hear the band was on top form, but it must be disappointing for them playing their hearts out in front of such a small crowd. I remain unconvinced that the Highlands are profitable territory for the band, although obviously Iain Bayne has contacts there.

I also see that Coast will be supporting Skerryvore and a host of other very decent artistes at the Isle of Tiree Music festival on 21st July. The days of my going to music festivals are long since past, for those who do, this should be a really terrific one - Tiree also happens to be my favourite Hebridean island with astonishingly fantastic beaches. And seeing Skerryvore on their home turf, or should I say machair, will be quite something.

DT
DaveyTee
DaveyTee
The Great Crowd

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2010-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Puffin Sat 11 May 2013 - 23:57

Aw, Davey - looks like we might be going to the rescheduled gig at Stirling! Well, we hope to be in Edinburgh for Runrig on the previous Saturday and staying with a friend in Northumberland, so if we can stay on a bit longer, and as Mr Puffin managed to win himself two tickets for a Coast Scotland gig of his choice and that is the only one we have the remotest chance of getting to... Wink (Yes, I know petrol from Berwick to Stirling and back will cost a shedload more than the ticket prices are worth but.... !!!

Seems like the Band are enjoying their tour and they always do play their hearts out, even when they have just a handful of people in a pub but I had hoped attendances in Scotland this time round would have been better. Sad

What they really need to do is play in venues across a wider area of England, away from the Hampshire area, to attract new fans and a wider audience. Do Universities and Colleges still host new and upcoming bands like they used to?

Glad to hear you had a grand night out in Oban, Kenny! cheers Looking forward to hearing the new songs, hopefully later this month. Smile

I agree, this year's line-up for Tiree is terrific but (quite apart from the cost and distance involved) camping is definitely not for us: at our advancing yet growing-old-disgracefully age we need basic comforts... like a solid roof, a comfy bed, a flush loo and preferably a hot shower. Come to think of it, we always have! Anyway, we'll be in Edinburgh seeing RR that weekend. bounce Very Happy

Puffin
Puffin
The Great Crowd

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2009-12-30

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveyTee Sun 2 Jun 2013 - 21:22

Might just manage Stirling after all, Puffin - I'm down in England the weekend before and was planning to come back late on the 23rd, but can bring forward my return by a day. Are you definitely going to the Stirling gig?

DT
DaveyTee
DaveyTee
The Great Crowd

Back to top Go down

Post  Puffin Sun 2 Jun 2013 - 21:58

Yes, barring any unforeseen mishaps of course, we will be going! bounce We'll be staying at a friend's in Northumberland (near Berwick) for a few days so we can drive up to Edinburgh on the Saturday before for the Runrig gig at the Castle - that was already arranged - so we will just stay on for a couple of extra days and do a "day trip" to Stirling as well. She's fine with that (she'll be away at the Tiree Music Festival for the weekend anyway!) and as we've not seen Coast outside of Hampshire yet (nor at a non-pub venue) we decided this was "do-able". Seeing as how John won the tickets..... Cool (Should he manage to win the Lottery then we'll go to ALL the gigs but as the best he's managed recently is £2:50 I won't hold my breath on that!)

We went to Basingstoke on Friday to see Coast in a bland pub in the middle of a rather featureless housing estate in the 'suburbs' and although the turnout could have been better, by the end they had everyone listening and calling for more - they sold some CDs too so and if they are invited back there I'm sure they will have a much bigger audience as word spreads that this Band were several cuts above the "usual" pub fare of badly-played covers that some of the regulars appeared to be expecting! Coast played "stadium rock" in a pub and as ever made sure everything was right and we at last got to hear three new songs! One very happy "ageing groupie" here. Very Happy Very Happy "Long Way Home" coming straight on from "Ruabhal" is Coast at their best. Mind, "Ruabhal" has always been a favourite of mine so perhaps I am a wee bit biased: I loved the way it has been played before (as on their first album) but Andy Davey has brought a whole new rockier sound to it which is different but ... wow! cheers

Puffin
Puffin
The Great Crowd

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveyTee Thu 25 Jul 2013 - 18:09

Ooooops!  Completely forgot about the Stirling gig and therefore missed it.  Hope it was a good one.

DT
DaveyTee
DaveyTee
The Great Crowd

Back to top Go down

Post  KENNY MACDONALD Fri 26 Jul 2013 - 3:39

HELLO TO THE FEW.JUST ABOUT TO SET OFF FOR TONIGHT'S GIG IN FORTWILLIAM (ABOUT AN HOUR UP THE ROAD FROM OBAN) MY SON WAS AT TMF AND SAID COAST WERE AWSOME!

KENNY MACDONALD
Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveyTee Sun 28 Jul 2013 - 7:02

So were they awsome in Fort William? And did many turn out to see them?

DT
DaveyTee
DaveyTee
The Great Crowd

Back to top Go down

Oban gig 9/5/13 Empty Tolbooth, Stirling 23rd July

Post  Puffin Sun 28 Jul 2013 - 8:36

DaveyTee wrote:Ooooops!  Completely forgot about the Stirling gig and therefore missed it.  Hope it was a good one.

DT

Just got home from Northumberland so only a quick reply for now - yes, it was a very good one!!!  Davy Cowan supported: 1st time we've seen him.  Sadly only about 40 turned up at the Tolbooth but apparently there was some big kickball game on that night too.  Those that were there seemed to enjoy themselves and the new bass player (Nick Tann) added his own stamp to the mix and clearly met with the approval of The Management.Very Happy   We had first seen Nick less than two weeks before in Winchester when he had been with the Band just long enough to have learned only a couple of songs: by Stirling he looked and sounded as if he had been with them for a long time and Coast played as well as I have ever seen them.  It was great to see them on a decent-sized stage with good lighting - one or both often lacking in pub venues!
Puffin
Puffin
The Great Crowd

Back to top Go down

Post  KENNY MACDONALD Mon 29 Jul 2013 - 2:29

RE THE FORTWILLIAM GIG ,A CROWD? OF ABOUT 30 TURNED UP WHICH I PUTDOWN TO LACK OF PUBLICITY .THE GIG ITSELF TURNED OUT TO BE VERY INFORMAL WITH LOTS OF ONSTGE BANTER.NEW BASSIST NICK FITS IN REALY WELL AND BRINGS A "UPBEAT SENSE OF HUMOR"TO PROCEEDINGS. THE PA SOUND WASN'T AS GOOD AS MY PREVIOUS COAST GIG (IN OBAN) BUT THE VENUE DIDN'T HELP THIS.I'M A BIT PISSED MORE PEOPLE DON'T GET OFF THEIR ARSE TO CHECK THIS BAND OUT
AS FOR ME THIS BAND CAN DO NO WRONG. P.S? THE NEW SONGS FIT INTO THE SET VERY WELL?

KENNY MACDONALD
Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post  atislay Tue 30 Jul 2013 - 17:32

Hi guys ! Just popped in and I'm glad that the Forum is still alive Very Happy 
Thanks for the gig informations and reviews. In addition I would also like to know what songs they play at the moment, as I'm not able to visit any concerts in Scotland/England/Denmark this year.
Any new arrangements of the songs ? Do they play new songs, too ?
Thanks and Greetings !!! Smile 
atislay
atislay
These Walls

Number of posts : 284
Registration date : 2009-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: